History of Helotes
In the 1850s, Helotes, Texas was settled by primarily German and Mexican immigrants. It grew slowly, setting up its first post office in 1873 and functioning primarily as a stagecoach stop and home site for cattle herders during the 19th and 20th centuries. In 1981, Helotes, Texas located in northwest Bexar County was officially incorporated, and after residents sold farmland to housing developers in the area, the city finally began to grow. Helotes is the perfect place to catch some live music at the historical John T. Floore’s Country Store or to enjoy a little fresh country air away from the big city of San Antonio.
Helotes, Texas Today
Today, Helotes, Texas, is a small town in Bexar County, boasting around 9,000 residents. Just 20 miles from San Antonio, it prides itself on being a little town with lots of fun. The Helotes Area Community Band is one of its finest accomplishments, now made of 60+ musicians from all around the Bexar County area ranging from high schoolers to retired professional musicians. The town is nestled near the Government Canyon State Natural Area, a tranquil park area with guided hikes and dinosaur footprints. It is also home to the historical John T. Floore’s Country Store where legends such as Willie Nelson, Bob Dylan, Elvis Presley and many others have taken the stage to perform. There are also many restaurants, event centers, and churches to support its citizens.
Causes of Motorcycle Accidents Near Helotes, Texas
Unfortunately, as in any area where people enjoy getting out, having fun, and enjoying the beauty of Texas roads, there are plenty of accidents near Helotes, Texas. In 2019, there were over 420 motorcycle crashes in Texas, with over half occurring in urban areas such as the San Antonio Helotes community. According to Texas Department of Transportation data, over 2,300 people were killed or injured in Texas motorcycle accidents in 2019. Over the last several years, Texas DoT has launched a statewide campaign: “Share the Road: Look Twice for Motorcycles.” Each year, many Texas cities declare May the Motorcycle Awareness Month.
Proving Liability for Damages After a Motorcycle Accident in Texas?
As you can see, if you were involved in a motorcycle accident in Helotes or the Bexar County area, you are not alone. One of the biggest questions that Helotes personal injury lawyers hear is how you can prove liability after a motorcycle accident. Often, motorcycle drivers are not the liable party in an accident. Because of their smaller size, many drivers simply don’t see them. It is often the case that motorcyclists are hit because a driver was under the influence, distracted, or failed to yield to the smaller vehicle. In Bexar County alone, at least 2,108 vehicle crashes were caused by drivers under the influence of alcohol in 2019. If you’re looking to prove liability, there are a few first steps you can take:
- Call an ambulance to get immediate medical care for any injuries, whether they are obvious or not.
- Call the police to file a report.
- Exchange insurance information with the other driver.
- Get statements and contact information from witnesses.
- Keep track of any medical bills, repair bills or other records that might help a Helotes personal injury lawyer pursue your case.
- Get in touch with a Texas personal injury lawyer so they can help you determine liability and what damages you can recover.
The Types of Damages That Can Be Recovered
Motorcycle accidents often result in serious injuries because motorcycle drivers are relatively exposed compared to car or truck drivers. Because of that, there are a lot of damages that can be recovered from a Helotes motorcycle accident. Some include:
- Medical expenses – if you were injured, you can recover damages to help pay for the bills. This can include injuries treated directly after an accident as well as ongoing medical costs for serious, long-term injuries.
- Lost income – if you had to be out of work for a significant period of time due to injuries, you can recover damages for the wages you didn’t earn during that time.
- Pain and suffering – accidents can cause severe pain and suffering, not only physically, but also emotionally. If you have lost life enjoyment or suffered from mental or emotional stress due to an accident, you can recover some damages as compensation.
- Punitive damages – while relatively rare in personal injury cases, in some situations you may be able to sue the other driver in order to punish them. This is more common if the other driver was drunk or incapacitated while driving.
Filing a Motorcycle Accident Claim in Helotes, Texas? Contact Patterson Law Group
If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident near Helotes, Texas, you’ll need a good Bexar County personal injury lawyer to help you pursue your case. At Patterson Law Group, we care about each individual and will do everything in our power to get you justice. You have nothing to lose–if you don’t win your case, you don’t even have to pay. We understand how hard a motorcycle accident can make your life. We want to help you recover as much compensation as possible so you can get back on track. If you were in a motorcycle accident near Bexar County, contact us today so we can help you put your life back together.