Getting involved in an accident with a truck or semi-truck is a horrifying experience. According to the Texas Department of Transportation, more than 10,000 serious injury crashes occurred in the state in 2017.
Victims of truck crashes often suffer life-threatening injuries as well as psychological scars. Were you injured in a truck accident, and you’re looking to get the compensation that you deserve? Contact the truck accident lawyers in Arlington at Patterson Law Group.
Proving Negligence in a Truck Crash in Arlington
The elements of a successful negligence claim are:
- Duty. You must prove that the truck driver owes you a legal duty.
- Breach. The truck driver breached the legal duty by acting carelessly or failing to act in a particular manner.
- Damages. You got injured or harmed due to the truck driver’s actions.
How Truck Accidents are Different from Car Accidents
There are dozens of reasons why truck accidents occur.
A report by the Federal Motor Carrier Administration indicates that driver critical reasons are the cause of over 87% of truck-related accidents. Driver critical reasons are coded into four categories:
- Non-Performance: The driver fell asleep, was disabled by a heart attack or seizure, or was physically impaired for another reason.
- Recognition: The driver was inattentive, was distracted by something inside or outside the vehicle or failed to observe the situation adequately for some other reason.
- Decision: The driver was driving too fast for conditions, misjudged the speed of other vehicles, or followed other vehicles too closely among other reasons.
- Performance: The driver panicked, overcompensated, or exercised poor directional control among other reasons.
Arlington Truck Accident FAQ
What Should I Do After a Truck Accident in Arlington?
Indeed, getting compensated is essential. However, your health comes first, which is why you should first seek medical attention following an accident. If there isn’t any noticeable discomfort or immediate pain, you should call the police.
Ensure that the at-fault driver doesn’t tamper with any evidence that might incriminate him/her without endangering your safety. You should also inform your insurance company as well as the other drivers’ insurer about the accident. Be cautious and brief about any information you provide to both insurance companies. Lastly, get in touch with truck accident lawyers so that they start working on your claim.
What Happens If I’m the At-Fault Party in a Truck Accident in Arlington?
If you are the at-fault party in a truck accident, you’ll be liable for the resultant damages. Therefore, the other driver is legally entitled to file a compensation claim with your insurer.
The damages that this claim may cover include:
- Treatment costs
- Vehicle damage
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages
- Prescription medication
The other driver can also decide to sue you, and therefore, you should contact Arlington truck accident lawyers for legal advice and possible representation.
What Evidence Do I Need to Include in My Insurance Claim for My Truck Accident?
For your insurance claim to be successful, you must prove the other driver’s liability. The evidence that you present with your claim can include both physical and circumstantial evidence.
Physical evidence includes:
- Accident scene photographs
- Police and incident reports
- Witness statements
- Medical records
- Your written account of the accident
The circumstantial evidence that you might have to present with your claim include:
- Evidence that the at-fault driver was intoxicated
- Evidence that the driver was distracted
- Evidence that the at-fault driver was fatigued
Filing a successful compensation claim after a truck accident can be overwhelming. Don’t allow all the paperwork and legal jargon to stress you out. Instead, contact a truck accident lawyer.
Talk to a Truck Accident Lawyer in Arlington Today
Filing a successful compensation claim after a truck accident can be overwhelming. You may not even know where to start, or what to do to get compensated since these cases are always complex. Don’t let all the paperwork and legal jargon stress you out.
Instead, schedule an appointment with an attorney at Patterson Law Group via 817-784-2002.