Were you injured in a Fort Worth car accident? Did you lose a loved one in a fatal accident? You may consider filing a personal injury or wrongful death claim. Doing so allows you to seek compensation for medical costs, lost wages, mental anguish, and pain and suffering.
However, if you are like many people, you may be unsure what to do or how to get started.
At Patterson Law Group, we understand the devastating impact of an accident, and our experienced Fort Worth car accident attorneys can help you understand the legal process. The first step is to contact our office to schedule an appointment. During our initial meeting, which is free and confidential, we can discuss your situation and let you know what legal options you have.
Understanding the Immediate Aftermath
After a car accident, the following moments can be disorienting and stressful. However, knowing what steps to take immediately can make a significant difference if you pursue legal action.
The steps to take immediately after a Fort Worth car accident include:
Seeking Medical Attention
The first and most important action after a car accident is to seek medical attention, even if you initially feel okay. Injuries may not always be immediately apparent due to shock or adrenaline. A prompt medical evaluation is essential for your well-being and can serve as critical evidence for your case.
Contacting the Authorities
In addition to seeking medical care, contacting the authorities is vital. This means calling the police to the accident scene. The police will create an official accident report, documenting important details such as the date, time, location, and parties involved. This report is another important piece of evidence in a car accident case.
Collecting evidence is recommended if you can safely navigate the accident scene after a collision. As the authorities and others arrive at your accident, evidence can get destroyed, moved, or lost. By taking pictures and gathering information immediately, you can safeguard information that may be invaluable if you file a legal claim.
The evidence you gather can be instrumental in determining fault, supporting your insurance claim, or even in a legal proceeding if necessary.
Collecting evidence serves several purposes. For example, it helps establish the sequence of events leading up to the accident. This is helpful when determining liability, especially if there are disputes about who was at fault.
Additionally, evidence can help insurance companies assess the extent of damage and injuries, impacting the compensation you receive.
Some of the most important types of evidence you can collect at the accident scene include:
- Photographs: Take clear and comprehensive photos of the accident scene, including vehicle damage, skid marks, road conditions, and traffic signs. Photos provide visual documentation that can be compelling in proving your case.
- Witness Statements: If there are witnesses to the accident, obtain their contact information and statements. Witnesses can provide unbiased accounts of what happened and corroborate your events.
- Police Reports: The official police report is crucial evidence. It contains essential details such as the officer’s observations, statements from involved parties, and any citations issued. Ensure you get a copy of this report.
- Medical Records: If you seek medical attention, keep thorough records of your treatment, including doctor’s notes, diagnostic tests, and medical bills. These records link your injuries directly to the accident.
- Video Footage: If surveillance cameras or dashcams are nearby, check if they captured the accident, or at the very least document their location. Video evidence can be compelling in showing precisely what transpired.
- Skid Marks and Debris: Take note of any skid marks or debris on the road. They can provide clues about the speed and direction of vehicles involved.
Collecting and preserving these types of evidence strengthens your position in a car accident case. This evidence is beneficial when negotiating with insurance companies or presenting your case in court if it comes to that.
Contacting an Attorney
When you’ve been involved in a car accident, especially one with injuries or property damage, consulting with an experienced car accident attorney is an important step.
While there is no legal requirement to do this, hiring an experienced car accident lawyer provides many benefits.
- Legal Expertise: Car accident cases involve complex laws and insurance negotiations. An experienced attorney understands the legal landscape and can navigate it on your behalf, ensuring you don’t miss any crucial details or opportunities for compensation.
- Protection of Rights: An attorney serves as your advocate, protecting your rights and interests. They can negotiate with insurance companies, ensuring you receive fair compensation for injuries, property damage, and other losses.
- Evidence Gathering: Attorneys have the knowledge and resources to collect and preserve evidence effectively. This can be crucial in establishing liability and proving the extent of your damages.
When pursuing a car accident case, one of the most critical aspects is establishing who is liable or at fault for the accident. Proving liability is essential to secure compensation for your injuries and damages.
Some of the steps in the process to prove liability include:
Proving liability often involves demonstrating negligence on the part of the at-fault party. This means showing that they failed to exercise a reasonable level of care that a prudent person would under similar circumstances. Evidence such as witness statements, photographs, and accident reconstructions can help establish negligence.
In some cases, liability may be shared among multiple parties. Understanding the concept of comparative negligence is important. It allows for a fair liability assessment, even if you share some responsibility for the accident. In Texas, so long as you are less than 50% at fault for the accident, you may still seek a recovery.
How Patterson Law Group Can Assist with Your Fort Worth Car Accident Claim
Experienced car accident attorneys at Patterson Law Group specialize in car accident cases and have a track record of success in assisting individuals in the area.
Some of the reasons to contact an attorney from our law firm include:
- Local Expertise: As a local firm, Patterson Law Group understands the specific challenges and legal regulations that apply to car accidents in Fort Worth and Texas. They can provide tailored advice based on their in-depth knowledge of the local legal landscape.
- Personalized Representation: The firm takes a client-focused approach, offering personalized attention to each case. They understand that every car accident is unique and tailor their strategies to maximize your chances of a favorable outcome.
- Strong Advocacy: Patterson Law Group’s team of experienced car accident attorneys is dedicated to advocating for your rights and pursuing the compensation you deserve. They will work tirelessly on your behalf, from negotiating with insurance companies to representing you in court if necessary.
With the help of our attorneys, you can feel confident you have someone working to help you achieve the best possible outcome for your case.
Filing a Claim After a Fort Worth Car Accident
If you are injured in a Fort Worth car accident, filing a claim is necessary to recover compensation. At Patterson Law Group, our experienced attorneys can help you pursue the compensation you deserve.
Contact our office to schedule an appointment to discuss your case and learn what legal rights you have.