Motorcycle accidents can have serious consequences, leading to debilitating injuries and financial stress. If you’ve been hurt in Texas, contact a motorcycle accident lawyer at the Patterson Law Group for prompt assistance. We understand the challenges that victims of motorcycle accidents face, and we’re here to help you navigate the legal process and seek the compensation you deserve.
Texas Motorcycle Accident Statistics
Texas, Arkansas, and Missouri have the highest rates of motorcycle accident fatalities, but Texas ranks #1 for the “most dangerous state for motorcyclists.” In 2022, 562 motorcycle riders were killed in collisions with motor vehicles in Texas—an 8% increase over the previous year—and thousands more were seriously injured.
These accidents can occur on major roadways, residential streets, and intersections, highlighting the need for cautious driving and awareness of motorcyclists.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Arlington, TX
Most motorcycle accidents involve a combination of factors, which may include:
- Distracted Driving: Motorists who do not pay full attention to the road are a leading cause of motorcycle accidents. Texting, talking on the phone, eating, or engaging with in-car entertainment systems can have devastating consequences.
- Speeding: Excessive speed reduces reaction time, making it difficult for drivers to control their vehicles or respond to sudden changes in traffic conditions.
- Failure to Yield: Drivers who do not yield the right-of-way to motorcycles at intersections or while changing lanes.
- Drunk or Impaired Driving: Operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol or drugs impairs a driver’s coordination and reaction time, increasing the risk of accidents.
Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Motorcycle accidents often result in severe injuries due to the lack of protective barriers that cars provide.
Common injuries include the following:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones
- Road rash
- Internal organ injuries
The aftermath of a motorcycle accident can lead to extensive medical bills, ongoing rehabilitation, and emotional distress for both the victim and their family.
What Compensation is Available to Motorcycle Accident Victims?
Depending on the circumstances of the case, you may be eligible to recover:
- Medical Expenses: Hospital bills, surgeries, prescription medications, and ongoing medical treatment are the most common tangible costs covered in a motorcycle accident lawsuit.
- Lost Wages: If the injuries prevent the victim from working, compensation can include lost wages and loss of potential future earning capacity.
- Pain and Suffering: Victims may be entitled to compensation for the physical pain and emotional distress they suffer due to a motorcycle accident.
- Property Damage: Compensation can include the repair or replacement of the damaged motorcycle, as well as other personal belongings.
Finally, in cases where a motorcycle accident results in a fatality, surviving family members may be entitled to compensation through a wrongful death claim.
Can I Make an Injury Claim if I Was Not Wearing a Helmet?
Yes, you may seek compensation for motorcycle accident injuries—even if you were not wearing a helmet at the time—as long as another party’s negligence was a contributing factor. Texas law allows motorcycle riders who are at least 21 years old and have completed a motorcycle safety course or have sufficient insurance to ride without a helmet.
Our experienced attorneys can assess the details of your case and provide guidance on how helmet use may impact your claim.
How Much Time Do I Have to File a Claim?
In Texas, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims, including motorcycle accidents, is generally two years from the accident date. However, taking action is crucial, as waiting too long to file a claim may result in the forfeiture of your right to seek compensation. Contact a skilled motorcycle accident attorney at the Patterson Law Group as soon as possible to protect your rights and preserve evidence.
Contact Our Arlington Motorcycle Accident Attorneys Today
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident around the city, Patterson Law Group’s dedicated legal team is here to help. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning you don’t pay unless we take (and win) your case. We understand the complexities of motorcycle accident cases, will fight for your rights, and have enough resources to pursue maximum compensation.
Contact us to schedule a free consultation where you can discuss your case with an experienced Arlington personal injury lawyer. We take the legal burden off your shoulders and advocate for your rights so you can focus on your recovery.