Lyft is a rideshare service now active in over 60 cities and providing approximately 2 million rides per month.
At least 66% of Lyft drivers use their earnings to pay for primary expenses, giving them the ability to live independently and work on their terms while providing for their families.
Lyft is an integral part of providing safe travel. About 90% of drivers say they are more likely to refuse to drive impaired because of their ability to hire a Lyft driver to take them.
However, every once in a while, accidents still happen.
If you’ve been in an accident with a Lyft driver, you likely have many questions. In this article, you will learn who is liable in a Lyft accident and how to get the compensation you need.
Speak To A Personal Injury Lawyer Now
Who Is Liable for Your Injuries in a Lyft Accident?
In Texas, Lyft drivers must meet certain requirements to be eligible to carry other passengers in their cars.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Must be 25 years old or older.
- Personal vehicle insurance.
- Pass a driver screening, which reviews your driving history and criminal background check.
- They must pass a vehicle inspection to test their horn, mirrors, windshield wipers, seatbelts, steering, brakes, lights, wheel assembly, exhaust systems, gas caps, and window tints.
As with any driver, they must also act with due diligence to protect others on the road. They must abide by all Texas laws relating to the appropriate use of a car and obedience to traffic signals and rules.
If a Lyft driver fails to protect you by driving unsafely, they will be liable for the accident they caused.
Getting Compensation for Your Accident
It can be complicated to get compensation for your accident while in a Lyft rideshare. However, it is certainly possible to get what you deserve, though it may take a few extra steps.
Regardless, here is what to do after a Lyft car accident:
- Call an ambulance if you see any injuries.
- Call the police so you can get an official report filed.
- Take witness statements and contact information.
- Take photos of the scene, the damages, and any injuries.
- Contact Lyft to let them know you were in an accident as a Lyft passenger.
- Contact a personal injury attorney to guide you through the next steps.
If you follow these steps and don’t leave everything up to the Lyft driver, you are much more likely to get the compensation you deserve when the case finally gets settled.
Lyft’s Liability Insurance Coverage
Every Lyft driver is required to have personal insurance to cover their own injuries and damages in a car accident. In some cases, their insurance may also pay for extra damages to passengers involved in a rideshare program.
If a driver’s insurance does not apply, Lyft does offer a third-party liability coverage. This coverage includes:
- $50,000 per person for bodily injuries.
- $100,000 per accident for bodily injuries.
- $25,000 per accident for property damage.
- $1,000,000 for 3rd party auto liability.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist bodily injury and/or first-party coverage.
- Contingent comprehensive and collision up to the vehicle cash value, with a $2,500 deductible.
The Lyft insurance coverage kicks in if and when a driver’s personal insurance does not provide appropriate coverage to take care of all the damages from an accident.
The uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage will provide for injuries to both you and your driver if the driver lacks sufficient coverage.
How to Get the Most for Your Lyft Accident
If you have been involved in a Lyft accident, you are not at fault. Someone else’s negligence or careless driving caused your accident, whether it was your own driver or the other driver involved in the accident.
In either case, you deserve compensation for your injuries or damages to your person.
As in any other accident, you will likely be able to recover compensation for the typical damages covered by insurance. These would include:
- Bodily injury
- Pain and suffering
- Medical expenses
- Loss of wages
- Loss of earning capacity
To ensure that you receive the best highest compensation available after a car accident in a Lyft is to contact a personal injury attorney.
After suffering from the accident, you shouldn’t have to deal with the stress of talking to insurance companies and deciding what amount you need in compensation. Instead, you should reach out to a lawyer at Patterson Law Group for professional guidance.
Our lawyers are standing by to give you the help you need after a Lyft accident. Don’t hesitate to call Patterson Law Group for a free consultation today! We will help you get through the legal process as quickly and painlessly as possible.
Speak To A Personal Injury Lawyer Now