According to the National Floor Safety Institute, slips, and falls account for over 1 million hospital visits a year and provide the primary reason for the time taken off work. The total cost for fall cases per year is around $13 million to $14 million.
Slip and fall accidents are common in the United States, especially for older adults.
If you have been involved in a slip and fall accident, you are in good company. And you don’t have to deal with it without help.
You may have many questions regarding slip and fall accidents, and we will do our best to give you the answers you need to deal with your accident and all the consequences.
What Is Considered a Slip and Fall Accident in Fort worth, Texas
In Fort Worth, Texas, slip, and fall accidents are one in which a person is caused to fall by the negligence of an employer, store manager, or someone else who was responsible for preventing the accident.
To prove that a slip and fall accident is eligible as a legal claim, the person who fell must prove a few basic things:
- They must prove that they were injured when they fell and have had to face painful consequences physically, emotionally, and financially.
- They must prove that the business owner, manager, employer, etc., had a responsibility to prevent the fall.
- They must prove that the business owner, manager, employer, etc., knew of the danger and failed to disclose it.
- They must prove that the business owner, manager, employer, etc., failed in their responsibility and allowed the fall to happen.
If these things can be proven in court, the case will be considered a slip and fall worthy of compensation from the negligent party.
Speak To A Personal Injury Lawyer Now
Texas Premises Liability Law
According to Texas Law, a person can be considered responsible for an injury from a slip and fall if they have “been grossly negligent or has acted with malicious intent or in bad faith.”
The law requires anyone inviting others onto their premises to make them aware of any potential dangers and hazards before they come to avoid any mishaps. If, for example, the owner, lessee, manager, etc., knew there was an issue on the premises and did nothing to fix it, they could be liable to the injured party.
Some common issues that cause slip and fall accidents include:
- Wet floors
- Uneven floors
- Protruding rugs, cabinet doors, cords, etc.
- Icy floors or parking lots
- Debris on the floor
- Unsafe ladders or stairs (i.e., without proper handrails)
- Spills of grease, oil, or other substances
If any of these caused the fall and were not adequately taken care of or warned of, a slip and fall claim should be filed to hold the negligent party responsible for their carelessness.
Average Slip and Fall Settlement in Texas
It can be difficult to determine an exact average amount for a slip and fall settlement. The top three in Texas in recent years have settled at $4,235,693, $1,634,821, and $751,000, respectively. As you can see, the numbers vary considerably depending on the circumstances of the case. Regardless, slip and fall accidents often get very high settlements for the injured party. There are several different reasons you can sue in a slip and fall case. The most common reason for bringing a suit is if you have suffered severe injury.
Some of the most common injuries in slip and fall accidents include:
- Head and Brain injury
- Neck and Back injury
- Leg and Knee injury
- Pelvic and Abdominal injury
- Soft Tissue injury
Some of these injuries can have substantial monetary costs.
For example, the average cost in the U.S. associated with a brain injury is around $48 million per year. Each person who suffers a serious brain injury could spend from $600,000 to $1,875,000 over a lifetime of dealing with it. Also, many slip and fall accidents affect the elderly, who are often weaker and thus suffer more serious damage when they fall.
Each case is different, which is why you should talk to a personal injury lawyer in Fort Worth if you have been the victim of a slip and fall accident.
How to Get the Most for Your Slip and Fall Accident
Dealing with a slip and fall accident can be extremely painful and frustrating. There are many consequences that can arise from a slip and fall, and all of them will come with serious distress for you and your family.
If you slipped and fell due to someone else’s carelessness, you should be able to sue and receive some compensation for the suffering their negligence caused you.
You might be able to file a slip and fall claim for:
- Injury. The most common results of a slip and fall are pain and medical costs.
- Pain and suffering. This could include physical and mental suffering and lifelong pain.
- Emotional distress. Distress and anxiety are common after an accident of any kind.
- Loss of income. Having to take time off work often results in serious wage loss.
- Loss of earning capacity. If your injuries are severe, you may never be able to do the work you used to again.
Get in touch with a personal injury lawyer from Patterson Law Group for a free consultation. The Patterson personal injury lawyers know all about slip and fall cases and can help you determine just how much yours might be worth.
Don’t try to battle this fall alone. Contact a slip and fall personal injury lawyer at Patterson Law Group today to get started on your path to healing.